Walker's Electric 2000 has survived several transformations its long history of service to the Midland community.
The original company began in 1935, when Edwin Walker moved north to a beautiful small town named Midland. He was an electrician by trade and was hoping to work for the new Ontario Hydro regional office that was to open in 1936. When this didn't work out, he went to work for himself by starting an electrical contracting business called Ed Walker’s Electric out of his home on Mildred Street. Soon after, he signed a government contract to wire warships. Fairmiles and minesweepers were built at Midland Boats Works, Penetanguishene Grew Boats, and the Honey Harbour Shipyard. Ed Walker wired these boats, along with a large crew of up to 60 men.
As the company expanded and grew, they moved to a house at 377 Hugel Street. (As an interesting footnote, Ed Walker's phone number there was only three numbers long......1-6-7.) Not long after that, in 1941, they moved to a house on King Street (now One-Stop Beauty Shop). In 1943, Ed built a shop out back for the inventory and the trucks. This shop is now occupied by Cellarman's Ale House. Five years later, Ed added a store to sell appliances. Today, this store has become Georgian Bay Windsurfing, located in front of Cellerman's.
In 1959, Ed Walker's Electric helped lead the way with a new technology- electric heating! Both the local newspaper and the electrical industry credit Ed Walker's Electric with building the first home built north of Toronto with a complete electrical heating system. At the time, the house was a breakthrough in technology. It was built mostly by Ed Walker and his four sons: Ken, Gordon, Alan, and David.
In 1967, the sons of Ed Walker, the second generation Walkers, Ken, Gordon, Alan and David became partners in the new incorporated company called Ed Walker's Electric Ltd. They built and moved to a new building at 889 King Street, and included a new custom control panel division named Walker Panels. By this time the company was servicing many different sectors of the community including commercial, industrial, marinas, farms and residential.
Ed Walker continued to run the company with his sons into the early 1980's, before officially retiring and leaving the company entirely to the second-generation Walkers. For another ten years, Ed Walker's sons would continue to proudly serve the Midland community and beyond from its 889 King Street location.
In November of 1993, Ed Walker's Electric Ltd. made the move to its present location at 169 Bay Street. By now, Ed Walker's Electric Ltd. had expanded to include four different divisions: electrical contracting, custom control panels, a mechanical division, and a security division.
During 1999, Ed Walker's Electric Ltd. made major changes to prepare for the new millennium. The company was streamlined to only include the electrical and panel divisions, while the mechanical and security divisions were sold. Glenn Walker, son of Gordon purchased Ed Walker's electric to allow his uncles to retire.
In August 1999, Ed Walker's Electric Ltd. became Walker's Electric 2000, a new name to reflect the company's third generation of family ownership under Glenn Walker. Gordon Walker continues to be actively involved with Walker's Electric 2000 and is the only remaining second-generation family member.
Today, Walker's Electric is a growing company servicing industrial, commercial and residential industries. As Glenn Walker enjoys his semi-retirement, his son Jeremy Walker runs the company as General Manager, with a large crew of qualified electricians to meet the continuing needs of the Midland and surrounding communities and beyond.